I really enjoy being an interior designer! It’s my responsibility to guide a client in the correct direction right away. We certainly don’t want any mishaps later. Floor coverings are critical, particularly in Chicago or any other place that experiences long winters. This would be an excellent time to talk about area rugs. Here is a step by step guide to finding the perfect area rug.
And away we go…
- Neutrals: Chicagoans typically love neutrals. That said, it is typically easier to work with a neutral as you can easily change accents like pillows or accessories in the future.
I do love a great geometric pattern!
This pattern is available in any color, but the neutral palette works.
This rug is neutral and bold all at once.
2. Size Matters: Be sure that your rug is the right size. The rug can go under the seating as shown below, at the very least it should kiss the front of the seating. This is crucial, you don’t want to create a tripping hazard! I also want to point out the lovely yellow in this rug. I’m not sure why so many people shy away from yellow, but this works. Don’t be afraid of color!
3. Color: I believe every room needs some color, even if it’s muted. I’m asking you to consider leaving your comfort zone if you’re reluctant to have a more colorful rug. I recommend trying to be a bit bolder if you can. Do consider your rug as a purchase you will keep for more than a year, so we must weigh your ability to keep liking what you purchase. Are you the kind of person who likes to redecorate often or do you tend to hold onto things?
This rug may have muted color but it packs a subtle punch.
I realize this isn’t for everyone but it’s powerful!
Love this rug!
This runner is colorful, modern and tribal all at once.
4. Sisal: I use sisal a lot as it is a great layering tool. Many people consider sisal too delicate for stairs, this isn’t true if you purchase the right specification. Reader be warned, you do not want to confuse this type of sisal from what is commonly available at big box stores. You get what you pay for, but you knew that already, didn’t you?
Look how perfect sisal is in this setting!
5. Go big or go home: If you can, do try to leave your comfort zone. I know that making a statement is tough sometimes but don’t be afraid to have some fun. Sometimes we get stuck in our heads and that can ruin everything, look how fun these two rugs are. I like the leopard rug so much I’m showing it three times, hint-hint!
I’m a huge fan of skulls, are you?
The takeaway is to be fearless and have a bit of fun. Perhaps a bold rug is not for the Living Room, feel free to try whimsical designs in kids rooms, game rooms and garden rooms. Here are more tips to make your space cozy. If you are in search of the perfect rug please let us know, we are here to help. I am offering 20% off area rugs for the month of February. I hope you take us up on it!